Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Speaking of films..

I feel the cold season poking its head through the humid heatwaves of summer. This means, among other things, my seasonal hibernation and ignited passion for films and television on dvd. It's the time of year I will save money by not going out all the time, and spend it expanding my vast collection of cinema.

First on my list of films to purchase, the Sean Ellis directed Cashback. My interest piqued with the online viewing of a short teaser film some time ago, and I finally rented the full length a few months ago. It was many of the things I love about films; an insight into the human condition, the questions raised by doomed relationships and a waning work ethic, the power of the imagination, the art of daydreaming.

I am, admittedly, prone to losing myself in thought. I have reason to believe this is simply a matter of survival. People underestimate the damage day to day living can render to focused brain matter. Lost in thought trumps many, many things my friends. But that's not what this blog is about.

Cinema, film, art. Do comment with some things I should be watching this time around. I'll love you for it.

2 comments:

presley said...

the spongebob squarepants movie
lizzie maguire the movie
and
the princess diaries

just kidding.

i'm not exactly sure what kind of taste you have, but wet your palette with these lovlies.

if you like old cinema, you'll appreciate:

cat on a hot tin roof
cool hand luke
wait until dark

foreign:

il postino
cinema paradiso
(these two films together are magic)

and um, once upon a time in america. i'm sorry, but that film was just... well, way cool.

too many to name, but these are just a few.

and you didn't ask, but if you're looking for a good book to read, i recommend as simple as snow gregory galloway.

have fun, keep up the good work:)

presley said...

oh, and the indian runner. it was a pretty amazing movie. it was sean penn's directorial debut and viggo mortensen played this sob that you loved to hate/hate to love.